When I first heard that they were making The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in California, I was jumping with joy. Since its premier at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2016, this magical place has brought happiness to witches and wizards from around the world. Even if you’ve mastered your O.W.L.’s or it’s your first day at Hogwarts, there are tips and tricks you might not know about The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Because of this, I’ve partnered with Get Away Today to provide you with five tips for making your vacation to Universal Studios Hollywood the most magical one yet.
- Arrive Early: It’s no surprise that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter can get busy fast. This is why getting to Universal Studios as soon as possible is recommended. If you can, try getting to the park about 30-45 minutes before it opens. Once the park does open, head straight to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. More specifically, ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey first. This will allow you to avoid longer wait times later in the day and save time for other things that you can do at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Indulge in Treats & Eats: While The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was being created, they made sure that J.K. Rowling approved everything. While doing so, they made sure that she taste-tested every food item in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Everything from Butterbeer, Chocolate Frogs and The Three Broomsticks had to be approved by the author herself. Because of this, make sure you indulge in all the delectable food items that are available to you at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter because you’ll truly feel like you’re in the wizarding world.
- Universal Express: If you only have one day at Universal Studios Hollywood, I would highly recommend getting a Universal Express ticket. As mentioned before, I would highly recommend getting to the park early if possible. However, if you have small children, a big group or just aren’t a morning person, you might not be able to. If not, don’t fret! You can purchase a Universal Express ticket to save you time throughout the day. This ticket allows you to go to the front of the line at each attraction, once per attraction. This will allow you to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey and The Flight of the Hippogirff without the long lines.
- Buy a Wand: One of the coolest parts of the Harry Potter series was when Harry went with Hagrid to buy his wand at Ollivanders. Luckily, you can experience that too! One of the most magical things you can do at Ollivanders is participating in the Ollivanders Wand Pairing Show. If you’re lucky, the wandkeeper will select you and pair you with a unique wand. Once the wandkeeper finds a fit, they’ll reveal your perfect wand. Even if you don’t get selected to participate, this show is a must-see for any Harry Potter fan. However if you don’t want to participate in the wand selection, you can always purchase a wand of your favorite Harry Potter character or an interactive one you can use around the park.
- Young Witches & Wizards: If you’re worried there won’t be enough for your young Gryffindor or Hufflepuff students, don’t worry. Universal Studios has incorporated attractions and entertainment for people of all ages. The Flight of the Hippogriff attraction is made for young children, so everyone can ride. You can also enjoy the Frog Choir performance. This showcases an a capella group of Hogwarts students that sing some of your favorite tunes from the show. Plus, you can even walk around the shops and marvel at the wizarding world.