Skip to main content

Interlude at Cottonwood Springs

About the book: Ruth Reynolds moves in wealthy New York circles. Heck Benham rides the range in the high plateau of New Mexico. When she comes west during the Great Depression, chance throws them together, and they fall in love. But she's a married lady, and he's an honorable man.

My review: Normally I've loved Liz Adair's books, but I had a really hard time with this one. I didn't like the main character Ruth. At. All. She's spoiled, selfish and pretty much married her husband, Harlan for his money. That's one thing, but the way she acted when she was married was a bit crazy. She completely didn't take any concern for her marriage vows and went after Heck. 

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't like Harlan either. He was also spoiled, selfish and very unkind to Ruth. 

I did like Heck for most of what I read. He seemed to be an honorable man. But not at Cottonwood Springs. I did like the way he explained why people didn't want to be around them to Ruth, living together unwed was very frowned upon at that time. 

I didn't love the plot either, it just seemed really slow with not a whole lot of anything going on. I will admit that I didn't finish this book, and I really have no desire to.

I was sent a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Comments

Popular posts

Favorite Friday - Book Launch for Piper Pepper The Garden Sprite

I like to go to book launch parties! It's really fun to be able to meet the author of a book you've enjoyed reading and be able to talk to them just a little bit. I've had a ton of fun doing that. And I've met some really AMAZING people too! 

And I also like children's books, so I'm really excited to tell you about, not only a launch party coming up in Lehi next week, but about the book that will be launching.


About the book: Meet Piper and her three toad brothers in this first book of the series as they hop and fly around Piper's Garden. Piper loves her garden, with its petunias, violets and bell peppers. What Piper has a hard time with is her three toad brothers. They set traps, eat her food and race past her and through her garden. Will Piper be able to put that all aside when her brothers need her help? Piper Pepper the Garden Sprite is set in beautiful Alberta, Canada. With the Rockies and vast prairies as the backdrop, Piper helps us to see the sometime…

SeaQuest Aquarium Giveaway

For this week's Friday Favorite (I know...it's only Wednesday!) I want to tell you about something new that I got to try out just last week. It's the SeaQuest Aquarium located in the Layton Hills Mall in Layton. 




This is a pretty new thing, it actually just opened in November. It's new, it's beautiful and there really is nothing like it located in Davis County. And actually, the way that it's been set up there isn't a whole lot like it out there. You see, it's not just an aquarium, it's really an interactive experience. There are only a few exhibits in the whole aquarium that have animals in them that you can't/shouldn't interact with. Those exhibits have high walls on them so you really can't interact with them anyway. Everything else has low walls. You can touch, feed, examine pretty much anything you see here. That makes it so much more than an aquarium.

I love the way it's set up in areas. Each of the rooms has a different and fun …

Worth the Wrestle

About the book: Why can’t I seem to conquer weaknesses that plague me?” “How do I know if I’m receiving revelation?” “Will the Lord forgive me after what I’ve done?” “Why can’t we seem to get ahead financially even though we faithfully pay our tithing?” “What if the Church’s position on gay marriage bothers me?”

Those are just a handful of the countless questions Sheri Dew has heard people ask over the years. “May I answer these questions,” she writes, “and any questions you may have, by posing a different question: Are you willing to engage in the wrestle? In an ongoing spiritual wrestle?”

In Worth the Wrestle, Sheri examines the process of asking good questions—whether those questions be doctrinal, procedural, historical, or intensely personal—and learning how to get answers. She demonstrates how to live by faith while seeking greater light and knowledge. And she testifies of principles that are worth wrestling for and of understanding that can be gained in no other way.

My review: Wow…