Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined

About the book: Celebrate the tenth anniversary of Twilight! This special double-feature book includes the classic novel, Twilight, and a bold and surprising reimagining, Life and Death, by Stephenie Meyer.
Packaged as an oversize, jacketed hardcover “flip book,” this edition features nearly 400 pages of new content as well as exquisite new back cover art. Readers will relish experiencing the deeply romantic and extraordinarily suspenseful love story of Bella and Edward through fresh eyes.
Twilight has enraptured millions of readers since its first publication in 2005 and has become a modern classic, redefining genres within young adult literature and inspiring a phenomenon that has had readers yearning for more. The novel was a #1 New York Times bestseller, a #1 USA Today bestseller, a Time magazine Best Young Adult Book of All Time, an NPR Best-Ever Teen Novel, and a New York Times Editor’s Choice. The Twilight Saga, which also includes New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn, The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella, and The Twilight Saga: The Official Illustrated Guide, has sold nearly 155 million copies worldwide.

My review: When I heard about the idea of this book, I thought "Why not!" I loved reading the Twilight series when it came out and the premise behind this book was an interesting one. I liked the idea of the main characters switching genders and wondered just how Stephenie Meyer would have gone about writing this one. Her two main characters are Beau and Edythe. It was kind of fun that she switched almost all of the characters genders. She did leave Charlie and Renee how they were originally though.

Well...then I started reading. And I have to say that I really didn't like this book that much. I thought that Beau was an annoying character, he was really whiny and I didn't see much of anything to recommend him. I didn't not like Edythe, but for me, having her take Edward's role was a bit much. I might be kind of an old fashioned girl, but she was majorly chasing Beau and when she started saving him all the time it was really a turn off for me.

I have to admit that I got bored with the plot line of this book around page 150. Sometimes I would just try to stick the book out, but I really didn't want to in this case. I did skip ahead and read the end, mainly because I found the author's note at the back and wanted to know what she was referring to in it. I did like the ending. But even reading that didn't make me want to go back and read any of the middle part that I skipped. 

I really enjoyed reading the original series when it came out 10 years ago, but after trying to read this it left me wondering if I still would, or if my tastes have matured in that amount of time. Maybe I'll take the time to re-read at least Twilight this coming year and find out!

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Labels: , ,