Everneath

Nikki Beckett has just woken up in the Everneath where she went to The Feed. Cole, the Everliving who tricked her into going to the Feed wants her to stay and be his queen. But Nikki knows that there is one face on earth that she hasn't forgotten the whole hundred years that Cole has been feeding on her emotions. She knows that she has to go back for Jack. Jack's face is the one thing that she can remember from her life before the Everneath. She also knows that she only has six months to be on the earth before the Tunnels come for her. Six months to make her disappearance of 6 months before up to her grieving dad and brother. Six months to work at going to school. Six months to make it up to her friends, people who now think she's a druggie because of how terrible she looks. And most importantly, six months to make things okay with Jack before she has to leave again. But Cole is not ready to give up, he's going to fight with every bit of tenacity he has to get Nikki to come back with him to be his queen. Is that what Nikki wants? Or does she want to tough things out with Jack and hope he can care for her once again?

I really enjoyed this book! I loved the way that mythology was woven through every bit of Nikki's story. I loved the themes of redemption and forgiveness that wove their way through the story. Just from reading the back of the book, to me the story seemed a little odd, but once I started reading, I really wanted to figure out what was up with Nikki. A lot of the story, especially of what happened before the Everneath is in flashbacks, which don't always work, but I really enjoyed the way they were weaved through what was happening now. I liked that this book was clean of sex, there were a few mild swear words to watch out for.

I borrowed this book from my local library.

Labels: ,