Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern #2)

Enna's come home to care for her mother in her final days. But after she dies, Enna notices that her brother Leifer is acting a bit strange. She's not quite sure what's going on with him, but one evening she tries to restrain him and he ends up burning her. Enna didn't even know there were people that could "speak" to fire just as her friend Isi "speaks" to wind. She's not so sure that fire speaking is a good gift, and tries to talk to Isi about it. Isi isn't sure either, but just then a neighboring kingdom, Tira, starts a war with Bayern and all of the forest born, including Leifer are asked to join the cause. When Leifer causes his own death by burning the forces of Tira, Enna knows that she can help in the war by learning to control fire too. She knows that she will be more careful than Leifer and not burn herself out. But she doesn't realize just how hard it is to control the fire and soon she is out of control herself. When she's taken captive by evil forces from Tira, Enna must come to grips with fire-speaking and figure out just how to save herself from the enemy.

I really enjoy Shannon Hale's books, I've loved every one that I've read. This book was great too, although the plot seemed to move a bit slow for my taste. I did like Enna and I know how the story ends for her, because I've read these out of order. I like Enna's strength and faith in herself. I like how she likes herself, even though she has a fire raging in her body. I like how she forgives herself and promises herself never to hurt others that way again. 

I was able to borrow this book from my local library.

Labels: ,