Refuge

Laney's life was perfect. She lived with her parents and younger autistic brother, and she was able to do what she loved, competitive gymnastics. But that all changed one night as she was at a gymnastics meet. Her parents had planned on coming, they also planned to leave her brother home with a sitter, but when the sitter fell through her parents decided to just go anyway. On their way to the meet they were in an accident and all of them were killed. Laney is devastated, she tries to move on with life as well as she can, but things are hard. Now she lives in North Carolina with her aunt and uncle. It's hard enough being the new girl, but to have everyone also know that her whole family was killed and be the object of everyone's pity makes things even harder. Friendless and lonely, Laney starts walking every morning at the refuge and that's where she meets Gabe. She never dreamed she'd fall in love with him, but that's what happens very quickly. Laney knows that Gabe has a secret, she knows that he'll tell her when he's ready. But will Gabe's secret tear their new love apart?

This was a cute romance. I like that it was clean. There was just something about it missing for me. I never really grew to know or love the characters, that's something that's really important to me, it makes a good book a great book! The plot was okay, but again for me, there was just something missing. I'd give this book three stars, I'd read more books by this author, but this one just wasn't my favorite.

I downloaded this book from Netgalley, and all opinions are my own. 

Labels: ,