Across the Sea, Across the Plains: The Epic Account of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies From Europe to Zion

From the back cover of the book: "From the wilds of rural Denmark to the soot-blackened streets of London, one by one, they heard the message. They felt the Spirit's power. And even as their friends and family turned against them, they held strong to their fledgling faith. These remarkable Saints were only beginning their Journey--one that would take them from their beloved homes, to a new continent, and on toward Zion.
Join the Willie and Martin handcart pioneers in their epic journey and hear their stories as you never have before. With skill and love, Shelli Simmons weaves eyewitness accounts, original documents, and personal testimonies together into one continuous timeline, tracing each tragedy and miracle as it truly occurred. 
This enduring story inspires awe and defies description. Now readers young and old can feel these pioneers come to life through this masterful account of trials, unspeakable suffering and incredible courage. Across the Sea, Across the Plains is the perfect primer for pioneer trekkers or any home library!"

I know I've been reading a lot of these kind of books lately. It seems as though there have been a lot of them coming out. I love these kinds of books, because I like to learn about historical things. The Willie and Martin handcart companies are something that especially interests me, because both members of my husband's family, and members of my family came across the plains in them. I was amazed at the accounts in this book taken from journals of one of my husband's great-grandma's, a journal that until this book came out, we didn't even know existed. I'm excited to try to find it, so that we can read her journal for ourselves. 

Shelli Simmons did a great job putting this book together, I liked the way the stories were woven together, so you knew just where each of the companies were. I liked the stories she included from before they joined the companies, when they were still living in England, or Denmark, or wherever. This book is great! 

Labels: