Flashback Week: Matched

I'm not quite sure if I can truly say that this was my very favorite book that I've read this year, well, maybe I can. I keep thinking about this book, I am really ready to read it again soon. I keep recommending this book to friends. I can't wait for Crossed!


This is the newest book by Ally Condie, it's marketed to national audiences and has already won several awards, even though it came out just after Thanksgiving. I had to make sure I got this one for Christmas, so I ordered it for myself, the day after Thanksgiving when I had free shipping. Then I had to make myself not think about it, for a really long time, which was hard, because I kept seeing it in stores and on blogs and e-mails.... It was definitely worth the wait! If you've liked the Hunger Games books, then you'll enjoy this one as well. There are a lot of similarities in the two series. The governments are both terrible, but I'd say the government in this one is probably worse. They don't allow people to choose their own spouses, they are matched with some one the government thinks would help them to have healthy kids with, thus the name. It's Cassia's 17th birthday, and her matching ceremony happens to be the same day, she goes with her parents, and her neighbor Xander and his family to the ceremony with all the others who are to be matched that day. This is a special day, so they dress up nice, have a fancy dinner and have the matching ceremony. Most girls are matched with someone they've never met and doesn't even live in the same area they do, but Cassia is matched with Xander, who she's grown up with. Both families are thrilled. But when Cassia checks her card with Xander's information she sees a picture of someone else, someone she knows also, but how could that be possible. The government never makes mistakes...or do they! This was a fun book, I LOVED it! I can't wait for the next one to come out so I can find out what happens to Cassia, her family, and all her friends!