Romantic Vignettes

This was a collection of 3 of Marcia Lynn McClure's short stories that she started out writing for friends and family. The Unobtainable One is kind of your typical nanny falls in love with Lord of the Manor story. I enjoyed the characters in this one Annette Jordan as the nanny with the sweet young Drea as her little charge falls in love with Lord Gareth Barrett, but there's also the lovely next door neighbor Dianna who has already decided that Gareth will be hers and she will go to any length to make it so. This was a fun light hearted story. I enjoyed it! The General's Ambition is the story of Renee, she's 17 when her father, a physician dies and he tells her on his deathbed that she's to marry Roque Montan, who she's secretly idolized since she was a child, to keep her from going into the Orphan's Asylum. Little do they know when they got married that his father has been scheming to get to Renee for quite a while. I found this story to be a little darker than I would have liked. There were parts that I really liked, but overall not my favorite. The last story in this book was Indebted Deliverance. This was the story of Chalyce and Race. Chalyce had been kidnapped by some barbarians who were bound and determined that she would marry their brother, regardless of whether she wanted to. Race comes upon them in the road and reluctantly rescues her, but she can't go home, because it's winter and the pass that she would need to take has just been closed off by an avalanche. So he takes her to his home and says that she must serve him to earn her board. Of course, she falls in love with him, but they are both almost killed in a surprising twist that I'll let you read about. I liked this one, but I found it a bit dark also, although not quite as dark as the middle one. This was kind of a fun book to read. I enjoyed most of it.